Monday 16 March 2020

Focusing Inquiry for 2020

I have been thinking a lot over the past 3 months about my inquiry from last year. How much I learned as a teacher and the shifts I saw in the children's attitudes and ability.

What I know for sure is that there is so much more I need to learn. So much more value I could be bring to my classroom to address the gaps in vocabulary. As I began to discuss this with others in my school I released that I needed to maintain the literacy focus in had in 2019 and build on this.

I began to read the wonderful book by Dr Jannie van Hees and Paul Nation- What every primary school teacher should know about vocabulary.
Image result for What every primary school teacher should know about vocabulary.

This a long with discussion with my SMT team and teaching colleges helped me to develop my questions that will guide my thinking around my inquiry this year leading from reading to oral language and hopefully into written language as the year progress.

Will increase discussion between learners and deliberate acts of teaching vocabulary improve achievement across multiple curriculum areas? 

My plan is to be more specific in my thinking, planning and implementation of my intervention this year giving my approach more time to work.


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Clarelle,

    I like the idea that you decide to focus on the same topic this year. Sometimes we need more than one year to really figure out what is effective.

    I was wondering how was your discussion with your colleagues before you made the decision? What did they say that help you make this decision?

    And what did you learn from the book by Dr Jannie van Hees and Paul Nation? Did it also motivate you to focus on teaching vocabulary?

    And I look forward to reading more of your blogs and seeing how you profile your students.

    All the best.
    Allen

    ReplyDelete