At the beginning of the year it was clear that there was a huge need for my learners in writing and reading. See this blog post.
This need lead me to look at my practice and think about what I was doing and what changes needed to be made to address the clear need in the data. As a result I tried a number of different practice aimed at building vocabulary in literacy and building writing capacity and skill.
As a result I tried a number of different things. Looking back perhaps to many different things and nothing for quite long enough but my practice definitely changed.
Each term I made a change based on reflections on student engagement, data and need.
This is an example of the children's created character and shares the same feature as the reading activity.
Here are some example of what this looked like. We found that well the language used within their activities was similar to that they already had and that this was not maximising gifted language the way we had hope. Gifted language was used more in writing however.
In Term 3 we had some wonderful team professional development with Dr Jannie van Hees this made me think about the things that are missing in my program. What am I doing about sight words. I started using this approach and the kids said "I like writing the little word." "I write more this time."
I also filmed this lesson for my Manaiakalani Google Class Onair.