During my data collection phase I talked with my CoL colleagues and they suggested that will early data pointing towards a need in vocabulary some data on oral language might help to understand the challenges for students in their learning.
For this task I asked students to tell me what they noticed in the picture in as much detail as they could.
- Children trended to state what the could see with little or no descriptive language.
- Some descriptive words were used including, swirly, beautiful, colourful, windy. GL used the words old fashioned and asked questions.
- BJ talked about the thing that attracts internet. This was a good example of missing vocabulary.
- GA4 described things as big, short, colourful and beautiful.
- How do I build the vocabulary needed to talk in detail?
- What vocabulary is most critical to help students read across the curriculum?
- How can I developed students ability to build vocabulary knowledge independently?