Monday 22 May 2017

Term 2 Inquiry

Fluency

Much research suggest that there is a strong link between fluency and comprehension in reading. The literature explains that while this link could be present for a number of reasons. One is that when reader read fluently drawing on sight word knowledge and context to make meaning less mental energy is spent on decoding which allows mental processing to focus on comprehension. The other come from phrasing. Often the meaning in more challenging texts is aided by the phrasing of the text. By reading the punctuation correctly and using expression while reading readers gain more from the text.

This term I will focus my inquiry around how my teacher action can support the development of fluency for my class and how video modelling and self review can support these learners to become fluent readers. This inquiry also links to the research that I am doing for my Honours degree at Auckland University.

This week I am developing the self review criteria with the class and building their knowledge of fluency so that by the end of the week we can create and review our first videos.

I am excited to engage in this study of my practice as I think that an understanding of fluency has the potential to support many of my students to develop their reading even futher.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this here Clarelle. It is very important to have research supporting inquiry and you have explored a lot of literature around this topic. I look forward to hearing more

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good to see how you are aligning your inquiry with your University Hons dissertation and contributing to the body of knowledge internationally.

    ReplyDelete